Sunday, August 17, 2008

A party divided against itself can and will stand


My downstairs neighbors are having a party right now.  They have three guests--I saw the entire party on my way upstairs upon returning from the grocery store--but the stereo is cranked to accommodate a hundred.  The bass thumps loud enough that my living room shakes.

Here's why I'm not bothered by this party:  

I don't have to be up early tomorrow, and I got a long, undisturbed nap in today after a short night sleep.  It's still pretty early, too.  Plus, I know this isn't going to be a frequent thing with these neighbors.  They're a married couple with at least one kid.  Dude works in the Theater Department at MSU, Chick's Mankato PD.  I have a feeling they were able to pawn off their kid(s) to a friend or relative for the night so they could party.  I have no problem with this.  They've been so quite since I've moved here, I thought they may have gone away for a few weeks.

Another reason I'm okay with this party is because they're playing great music.  I've heard Abbey Road, St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Houses of the Holy so far--all in their entirety.  Amazing.

The final reason I'm liking this party is the stereo.  Holy shit, these people have an incredible sound system.  The balance, the clarity, the oomph--all of these reasons make me want to go down there and ask them the brand name of their stereo and speakers.  But I really don't want to talk to them.  I talk to my neighbor upstairs, and the guy freaks the hell out of me.  

It's because of when we walk down the stairs together on those uncomfortable we-just-left-our-apartments-at-the-same-time-and-neither-of-us-has-a-valid-reason-to go-back-inside-in-order-to-avoid-the-impending-awkwardness type of descents.  Last time this happened (yeah, it's happened more than once) he pointed to a recent delivery of books I had ordered from Amazon (for school) sitting on the the stairs and asked, "Is this going to be a regular thing for you?"  Like me receiving packages bothered him, or something.

What!?!  Is that a problem, Chet?  I can't order shit online and have it delivered to this apartment?  That's why I don't want to talk to the people downstairs.  Who knows what ass-backward thing they might say.  Plus, I really don't want to have to say hello to them every time our paths cross.  I'm going to be in this place less than two years, so it's just not worth it.  I'm just liking the fact that I can listen to their music collection on their stereo, and we don't have to be in the same room.  If they put on something that sucks, however, I may have to alter this post.

2 comments:

Er ist glaubhaft said...

Nice hyperbole.

Diana said...

"I really don't want to have to say hello to them every time our paths cross."

Dan, I know exactly what you mean.