Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I'm on a plane


One day I'd love to get on a plane without any luggage.  Not even a carry-on.  It must be so liberating, not having that extra worry.  There's already enough to cause a passenger anxiety, what with the traffic to the airport, the lines at check in and security, the wait in the terminal.  Then there's the takeoff, traveling 300+ mph at an altitude of 30,000 feet, the landing.  And I can't tell you how many hours I've spent standing alongside the carousel at baggage claim, waiting with the other passengers to see who'll be making a trip to customer service instead of continuing on to their destination.  

I'd like to be able to enter an airport, slip through the security checkpoints the way Barry Sanders used to zig-zag past the second level, and get on a plane with nothing in my arms.  To land in a new place without any bags, to walk off a plane and out of the airport without a plan or sense of direction--I imagine the weightlessness of the experience would grant me the chance to relax. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're not bringing baggage, they think you're going to blow up the plane. Not taking luggage is a one-way ticket to a strip search. I think that might undo all that no-baggage stress relief.