Monday, February 9, 2009

Teeths don't fail me now

The chip in my number 3 molar (top right--maxillary?) turned into a crater the other night. The tooth doesn't hurt, though the tip of my tongue is red and bumpy because I can't stop poking at this rough spot in the enamel.

To give you a better idea of where this chip is located, think of the molar as an upside-down crown. Imagine one of the crown's points being clipped off--the point on the pallet side of the mouth. Touching that spot with my tongue is unavoidable. It's practically resting against the crater.

Plus, I kind of like feeling the serrated edge of my tooth. Even if it wasn't in direct contact with my tongue at all times, I would search it out. The abrasion can probably be buffed out at the dentist, but I'd rather take care of it with my tongue. And I don't have dental, so...

Is it so wrong to like the minor amount of pain that rubbing this chip inflicts? Sure it feels like I've got a sticker on the tip of my tongue, but if I keep working it won't the sticker peel off? I can't help it; I'm addicted.

I'm not too worried about smoothing out the rough spot just yet. I've chipped other teeth, and those chips have regained their slick integrity. What I am concerned about is the fact that this rough spot is deeper than previous ones. This can't be good in terms of increasing the tooth's susceptibility to decay. It's been nearly two years since my last visit to the dentist, and I can feel the cavities in my teeth. I know the school offers cleanings and inspections for a decent price, but I'm hesitant to go in for a check-up.

I got my first cavity at the age of 21, and I don't think I'm ready to find out that that number has increase times 10 in less than six years. The dentist has always told me that I have great teeth, I do a fine job brushing. Aside from the occasional x-ray, my visits consist of nothing more than a cleaning. To go to a dentist and hear that my teeth are mess, to be asked when was the last time I had a check-up, I would feel like a let-down, a disappointment. I don't want to accept the truth. And I would like to keep working on this jagged tooth. It distracts me from other body aches and worries.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience about 6 months or so ago; the difference is that I believe what was happening to my teeth was that one of my wisdom teeth was growing in. At first I didn't know what was happening -- I only knew that I had a somewhat sharp pain in the very back of my left jaw. Instinctively, I did what you are doing, which is constantly grating the area with my tongue. After a few days of this, the sharp edge of the tooth that had been hiding under the gum finally began to puncture the outer layer and emerge, leaving me with a sharp, serrated edge on my gum. And yes, I did "kind of like feeling the serrated edge of my tooth" just as you did. I know exactly what you are talking about. Eventually I tried to figure out what was going on with the tooth with my finger, and I actually just completely cracked it off. It was accidental and surprising, and it bled. But that was the last of the wisdom tooth: the rest of the tooth seems to have learned its lesson and has not tried to break through my gum again.

Seeing that your situation involves an "actual" tooth, however, and not a wisdom tooth, you may want to get that checked out. Because you are right: I wonder if it will begin to decay.

On the other hand I haven't been to the dentist in about ten years, so...

DeWolf said...

Does your jaw still click?

JLC said...

I was happy to see Joey's odd story of his tooth saga posted in the comments; I thought of it immediately. I must say, Dan DeWolf, you do have lovely teeth.

DeWolf said...

Thanks, Jenny! I think they cost my parents about $3,000.

Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Anonymous said...

I can still click my jaw (both sides) very loudly. It's kind of similar to running my tongue against the serrated tooth in that it almost kind of hurts but is completely addictive.

reenska said...

I told you I would pay for a dentist visit for a check-up. You need to either arrange for that when you are home or find someone in Mankato, before things get worse. And I believe it was more like $3500. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Burned!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the mom-burn. Listen to your mother.