Monday, October 19, 2009

"Phone Call to My Mother"

The following was a writing exercise that Roger gave to the fiction workshop. The guidelines: all dialog, no stage direction or exposition of any kind, less than 400 words. I had fun writing it, but I'm not sure if I can use it for any of my stories--it doesn't really fit with anything I have. Writing something around this conversation seems destined to fail, and it doesn't stand on its own in terms of weight/significance. So I figured I'd post it here. Why not.

"Jacqueline, I’m kind of busy. Can I call you back?"

"Where are you, Mom?

"I’m at Kohl’s Super Saturday Sale. These people are vultures."

"I was in an accident."

"Great, what happened?"

"Don’t sound too concerned."

"Well, it’s very hectic here. If I don’t stay focused I’ll miss out on the best deals."

"I can tell you need to go."

"Don’t be ridiculous. Give me the story."

"I went to White Hen to pick up milk—"

"Which one did you go to?"

"What?"

"Which White Hen did you go to?"

"The one on Ogden, near my apartment. Why does it matter?"

"Oh, that one’s no good. You should go to the one on Roosevelt."

"But that’s way out of my way."

"Yeah, well the milk is cheaper there."

"Can I finish?"

"I’m just saying."

"Anyway, I was making a left onto Ogden when I got sideswiped by a Honda."

"You should have gone through the lot and went to the light. You could have avoided the whole mess, Jacqueline."

"I’ll try to remember that next time."

"Did you remember to get the milk out of your car?"

"You know, I am okay. Just in case you might be worried."

"Of course you’re okay. Otherwise you wouldn’t be taking such a tone with me. Now, did you or didn’t you remember to get the milk out after your accident?"

"No, Mother. I have not done that yet."

"Make sure you do. And soon, too. It’ll sour the car, and you’ll never be able to get that smell out."

"You’re unbelievable, you know that?"

"Why, thank you, dear. Do you want me to stop by later on?"

"Don’t bother."

"Hello? Jackie? Hel-lo."

No comments: