Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's a Series of Choices

Got off on the wrong foot to start the semester. On Saturday, I realized that I hadn't added my English 242 (Creative Writing) course to D2L. When I did add it, a message appeared saying that I would have to wait 1-3 days before it would appear on D2L. For those of you who don't know, D2L (Desire 2 Learn) is an online teaching tool that allows T.A.'s, lecturers, and professors the ability to upload documents, update grades, have discussions--it's basically a way to communicate with students. Which is why I planned on using it pretty heavily this term. But on Monday, since it hadn't been 1-3 days (weekends don't count), I couldn't access my course on D2L.

It turned out to be all right, though, since I still have my Composition class blog up. I was able to post the syllabus there and I used the doc cam to go over a few handouts. The class went pretty well, but it's hard to say whether or not the first day provides an accurate picture of how the rest of the semester will go. I was pretty tired when I taught--I had been up for 22 hours at the beginning of class--and I can't begin to tell you how difficult it was to narrow down the fiction readings. That's what I spent most of the night before class doing. It's what I had spent most of break in terms of preparing for this class. I cut some of my favorite stories and others that I really felt would be accessible. Here's a list of finalists that didn't make it:

  • "The Scheme of Things" by Charles D'Ambrosio (it literally hurt to cut this one out; everything matters in this story)
  • "A Small, Good Thing" by Raymond Carver (one of my all-time favorite stories; a lesson in dramatic irony)
  • "Tits-Up in a Ditch" by Annie Proulx (the release of information and structure are masterful)
  • "The Testimony of Pilot" by Barry Hannah (one of the greatest first-person, confessionals)
  • "Big Me" by Dan Chaon (a story that causes the back of your head to be blown away)
  • "Visitation" by Brad Watson (a devastating and beautiful father-son story)
  • "The Smile on Happy Chang's Face" by Tom Perotta (contains enough layers to survive a Minnesota winter, in a good way)
  • "The Bear Came Over the Mountain" by Alice Munro (compelling; surprising and unexpected plot turns--the excellent movie "Away From Her" was based off this story. But I already had a Munro story)
  • "We Didn't" by Stuart Dybek (lyrical and poetic, I completely relate to the narrator's failed attempts at scoring)
  • "This is Us, Excellent" by Mark Richard (probably the best ending to a story that's not titled "The Dead"; the perceived image of the carnival ride breaking apart gets me worked up and emotional every time)
  • "Deep in the Heart" by David McGlynn (the blend of complex characters and compelling plot is a lesson in how to write a damn good story)
  • "Among the Missing" by Paul Yoon (lyrical sentences and beautiful images of setting, Yoon's observations are so novel and precise that you'll find yourself saying, "I never thought of it like that," multiple times)
  • "Reunion" by John Cheever (so much power in such a small amount of space)
  • "Reunion" by Richard Ford (how imitation can be done effectively and how you only need enough plot with which to hang your characters)
  • "Rot" by Joy Williams (it's not about explaining WHY things are the way they are; it's about HOW the characters respond to the circumstances)

I will say this: As difficult as it was to narrow down my fiction reading list, it's the most fun I've had preparing for a class. I feel really fortunate to be able to teach creative writing this semester.

No comments: